The Best Brews and Snacks for a Gluten-Free Gameday
At Aurochs Brewing, we’d be happy to have delicious gluten-free beer for our entire meal, but we get it. To some people, beer needs a side dish too sometimes. Part of the reason we set out to create Aurochs Brewing was because there are times that call for a beer, and the gluten-free options just weren’t cutting it. Gameday is one of those times.
If you’re tired of going to a tailgate and only being able to snack on the veggie tray, don’t worry, we’ve got the gluten-free recipes (and brews) to make your tailgate or watch party a winner. If you aren’t following a gluten-free diet, you won’t be disappointed with these recipes. They’re great to have on deck for yourself and anyone who attends so that everyone on your team can kick back, have a delicious beer, and all the salty snacks you could want to go with it.
How to Make Socially-Distanced Watch Parties Fun
We know tailgates and watch parties aren’t the same today, but we still support creating a community around watching people battle it out on the gridiron. If you aren’t getting together in person, here are some tips to watch the game “together” while apart and have fun doing it.
- Door drop-offs: If people always look forward to your food at the tailgate (and if you keep reading, you’re about to become that person) you can still share the love with a door drop-off. Try to make it ahead of time and drop it off pre-bake so your friends/family can still enjoy your legendary dish without having to give away the secret recipe.
- Beer delivery: Another way to feel connected is to share a drink together or surprise a friend with their favorite beer. There are tons of beer and wine delivery apps that let you deliver a drink to your friend without leaving the couch. If you’re in PA, VA, VT, NH, or DC, you can even get your favorites from Aurochs Brewing delivered straight to their door. If you’re feeling extra generous, you can even drop off a four-pack when you stop by to bring them a snack.
- Host a virtual watch party: Zoom is a simple way to enjoy the ups and downs of the game with friends. Just set your laptop on the TV stand or coffee table to watch and celebrate together.
Dips are integral to the tailgate menu but gluten-free ones, and gluten-free vessels for your dip, are harder to come by. These recipes are simple, tasty, and addictive. Just remember to grab some gluten-free chips or veggies to go with them (more on that below).
- The BEST Guacamole: Guacamole is so good you’ll forget that it’s healthy. This guac gives tons of ideas for customization and tips on how to keep it GF and vegan-friendly. Basically, everything including the kitchen sink goes well with guac.
- Cheesy Artichoke Dip: This one’s a classic. Give it a quick bake before you serve to give it a nice crunchy bite. If you don’t have any gluten-free crackers on hand, no worries, it’s just as good without.
- Buffalo Chicken Dip with Bleu Cheese and Bacon: Man, the name says it all. If you don’t want to be asked to bring the buffalo chicken dip to every tailgate from now until the end of time, it’s best to leave this at home.
Baby carrots are alright, but when it comes to beer, nothing beats a nice salty cracker to go with your dip. Forget the pretzel rods - here are some great, delicious gluten-free chips to go with your dips.
- Crunchmaster Multi-Seed Crackers: To go with your guacamole.
- Thin and Crunchy DIY Crackers: This recipe is so easy to whip up if you don’t feel like stopping by the store for another bag of GF crackers. Best paired with heaps of cheesy artichoke dip.
- BFree Pita Bread: Serving buffalo chicken dip on pita bread is a game-changer. This pre-made pita bread is easy to toss in the oven and serve right before kickoff.
The Game Changers
These finger foods are so easy, delicious, and satisfying. They’re perfect for sharing but we won’t blame you if you don’t. Oh, and we got our founder to pick the perfect Aurochs beer to go with each recipe. No biggie!
- Garlic Parmesan Chicken Wings: These wings are crispy, juicy, and kind of healthy because they never make it to the fryer. That’s the perfect combination.
- Aurochs Brewing Beer Pairing: Session IPA and/or Hazy IPA
- Gluten-Free Deep Fried Pickles: Honestly, what can’t you fry? These crunchy, juicy, salty, fried pickles are just calling for a can of beer.
- Aurochs Brewing Beer Pairing: Amber Ale
- Sticky Sesame Cauliflower Wings: Cauliflower wings are one of those things that were meant to act as a substitute but ended up being better than their predecessors. These ones are no joke. Plus, they’re vegan so everybody and anybody can enjoy them. If you are using soy sauce, make sure it expressly states that it is gluten-free, like San J Tamari Gluten-Free Soy Sauce.
- Aurochs Brewing Beer Pairing: Blonde Ale
- Mexican Street Corn Nachos: After trying these, I will never put an olive slice or shredded lettuce on my nachos again. These are a fan favorite at my house and will be at your house too.
- Aurochs Brewing Beer Pairing: Light Lager
- Gluten-Free Pretzel Bites: Another tailgate staple is the soft pretzel. These are really easy and really addicting, so watch how high you pile them on your plate! Every pretzel needs a good beer. A gluten-free flour recipe is provided, but we love using GF Jules All Purpose Gluten-Free Flour.
- Aurochs Brewing Beer Pairing: Light Lager or Porter (different ends of the spectrum)